Thursday

Kindle Author Interview: Angela Kay Austin

Angela Kay Austin, author of Love's Chance, discusses her book, her journey as a writer, and self-publishing on Kindle.

DAVID WISEHART: What can you tell us about Love's Chance?

ANGELA KAY AUSTIN: Love's Chance is a novella, about 47,000 words. It was my first contracted piece. I will love Red Rose Publishing forever for that reason. I set it in Central Pennsylvania where I lived for about 3 years. While living in Central PA, I realized that there was a clear divide in the people along the Susquehanna. There was also a separation between the local residents and relocated residents. It made me wonder what would happen if a woman moved there knowing no one. Who would be the first to welcome her, and why? How would she fit in? Could she?

DAVID WISEHART: How do you develop and differentiate your characters?

ANGELA KAY AUSTIN: I'm not a plotter. Usually, my story ideas come to me in pieces. So, when I sit to begin a story I don't have a fully flushed out idea of the characters or the story. But, as I begin to write...the characters ususally become more fully developed (let's hope). And at times, it will change the entire direction of the story ;-)

DAVID WISEHART: Who do you imagine is your ideal reader?

ANGELA KAY AUSTIN: My ideal reader...is anyone that loves to read. The two pieces that are currently published reach different audiences. Love's Chance is your typical HEA romance. It's an interracial romance and because of that will reach and even more specific audience. While my short story, My Son, has a lesbian couple and one half of that couple is the protagonist of my story. So, no, I don't picture an "ideal" reader, but I do picture loyal readers.

DAVID WISEHART: What was your journey as a writer?

ANGELA KAY AUSTIN: Believe it or not, an online conference lead me to publishing my first piece. Like so many other authors, I've been writing forever, and I've probably been submitting for just as long. But, not until I joined writers groups did I begin to understand the power of networking. Through those networks, I discovered a free online conference, and through that conference I pitched Love's Chance and that brings us to today.

DAVID WISEHART: What is your writing process?

ANGELA KAY AUSTIN: Keyboard, type, and let the story flow ;-)  I try to write everyday, but I don't set word limits. I try to finish whatever scene I'm working on, and the opening of the next scene before I call it quits for the day. Usually, it's something around 1,000 words, but on several occassions it's been less or more.

DAVID WISEHART: What authors most inspire you?

ANGELA KAY AUSTIN: Toni Morrison, Terry McMillan, Jeaniene Frost, Wally Lamb, Barbara Kingsolver, Jane Green, J.R. Ward

DAVID WISEHART: What one book, written by someone else, do you wish you'd written yourself?

ANGELA KAY AUSTIN: Waiting to Exhale.

DAVID WISEHART: How did you create your cover?

ANGELA KAY AUSTIN: Red Rose Publishing has some great cover artists. I usually tell them of a scene in the book that captures a pivotal turning point for my characters, and they recreate it on the cover for me.

DAVID WISEHART: How have you marketed and promoted your work?

ANGELA KAY AUSTIN: I have a social media platform, and website. Love's Chance will be in print soon, and when it's available I'll add in a fulling integrated marketing plan: advertising, book signings, tradeshows, etc.

DAVID WISEHART: Why publish on Kindle?

ANGELA KAY AUSTIN: For my publisher, any work under a certain word count goes to Kindle first, and then based on sales goes into print. I love the fact that it went to Kindle because I feel like it opened my book up to a much broader audience. Love's Chance ranked, at one point, in the 6,000s out of 400,000 books available on Kindle. To me, that's absolutely amazing.

DAVID WISEHART: What advice would you give to a first-time author thinking of self-publishing on Kindle?

ANGELA KAY AUSTIN: Don't think that because it's on Kindle that it doesn't have to be of good quality: editing, cover art, writing, etc. Put as much effort into your self-published work as you would into work you'd submit to one of the NY houses. One of your readers could post a review that could change your life.

DAVID WISEHART: Thanks, and best of luck with your books.




ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Angela Kay Austin writes, "Like so many other authors, I have a day job. I have worked in marketing for twenty years. I get to write a lot…lots and lots of radio, TV, and print copy. Too bad I can’t compile them, and call it AD Crazy. I’ve tried my hand at different forms of writing, too. I wrote for Rithm ‘n Blues, a webzine. That didn’t last long. But it was fun. I even received a few fan letters.

"To keep the dream alive, I’ve joined different organizations locally, and nationally. I am a member of Romance Writers of America, Washington DC Romance Writers, Chick Lit Writers of the World, and From the Heart Romance Writers. For me, some of the most supportive people have been found in the local and online groups. Because of them, I’ve gotten this far."

Visit her website and read her blog.

Are you a Kindle author? Would you like to be interviewed for this blog? You can! See details on my Kindle Authors Wanted page.

Discover new writers! Subscribe to the FREE Kindle Author Newsletter.

No comments:

Loading....

Post a Comment