Sunday

Kindle Author Interview: Bobbye Terry

Bobbye Terry, author of Frozen Assets under the pseudonym "Daryn Cross," discusses her book, her journey as a writer, and self-publishing on Kindle.

DAVID WISEHART: What can you tell us about Frozen Assets?

BOBBYE TERRY: It’s the first in The Cash Chronicles, a series about subsequent generations of the Cash family, a clan honor-bound to seeking peace and democracy in this country and throughout the world. In the novella, Frozen Assets, Caleb Cash and his intended betrothed, Winnifred Marshall are trapped by a comet crashing into an ice cave, followed by the cave’s collapse around them. Placed in stasis by the green dust of the comet followed by freezing, the couple lies suspended until they’re found in 1941 and cryogenically frozen by the government in a secret experiment. In 2141, they wake up to a U.S. nothing like the one they knew. The west coast is gone, as is part of the east coast and the country is controlled through martial forces, led by the Primera, Millicent Davis. Millicent’s earlier story is told in Millicent, a novelette released at the same time as Frozen Assets.

DAVID WISEHART: How do you do your world-building?

BOBBYE TERRY: That’s an article unto itself. In fact, I’ve written a couple on the subject. One can be found at http://www.writersfunzone.com/blog/2011/03/24/craft-what-about-worldbuilding/ where I guest blog twice a month. There I delineate the things one must consider in world-building: the constants that continue through the series, the rules, terminology, culture, clothing, dialect and morés of the characters existing within the confines of that world.

DAVID WISEHART: How do you develop and differentiate your characters?

BOBBYE TERRY: I do a sketch of the main characters before I begin writing. In fact, the characters always drive my stories. I also need to know what has made them who they are when the story opens, so I have to consider each one’s backstory to get intot heir skin, so to speak. When writing in a character’s point of view, I am that character. Being in the villain’s skin can sometimes be a bit uncomfortable. Each character must have his or her idiosyncrasies, methods of expressing himself and body gestures, etc., that distinguishes him enough that speech tags are not really required.

DAVID WISEHART: Who do you imagine is your ideal reader?

BOBBYE TERRY: An eclectic one. I cover everything from contemporary to historical, science, fiction, fantasy, romance, and combinations of all of these. Also, my readers must be ready to laugh because no matter how serious the material, there will be some humor in my books.

DAVID WISEHART: What was your journey as a writer?

BOBBYE TERRY: I’ve written most of my life but began to do so professionally in 1995. I was working as a consultant with times of feast and famine. I decided I wanted to write a novel. I had already penned many journal and magazine articles, but fiction is very different. I found a Romance Writers of America chapter, Virginia Romance Writers, ten miles from my house. I believe it would benefit all fiction writers to learn about the craft through romance, because it teaches what you need to know about showing human emotion, character development and dialogue.

DAVID WISEHART: What is your writing process?

BOBBYE TERRY: As a rule, I write from about eight in the morning until six in the evening. That includes posting blogs and other marketing chores. Many nights, though, I may write as late as nine or ten. It just depends on deadlines, most self-imposed, whether I’m near the end of a work or just simply inspired to continue and won’t stop while I’m in that groove.

DAVID WISEHART: What authors most inspire you?

BOBBYE TERRY: There are far too many to name. Lori Wilde has been a mentor to me, and she helped give me the confidence to do this. My friends, writers Caroline Clemmons and LJ DeLeon have also cheered me on. As for writing styles, I still love the Gothic romances by Victoria Holt and Mary Stewart, and my favorite book of all times is Charlotte Brontë’s Jane Eyre. But then, I also adored George Orwell’s Animal Farm and anything by Ray Bradbury.

DAVID WISEHART: What one book, written by someone else, do you wish you'd written yourself?

BOBBYE TERRY: As mentioned above, it would be Jane Eyre, a true saga demonstrating triumph over horror and hope over despair.

DAVID WISEHART: How have you marketed and promoted your work?

BOBBYE TERRY: As times change, my methods do also. I use very little print marketing now. Most is Internet-based and ranges from blogging for myself and others, appearing on well-known sites such as this one, and placing small ads on certain reader and writing sites depending on the genre.

DAVID WISEHART: Why publish on Kindle?

BOBBYE TERRY: Because it reaches an expanded audience. Also, it gives a writer freedom to explore genres and topics that are outside the framework of their other published works. I have many books coming out this year through publishers, but, I don’t have any in science fiction. I thought this was a great place to debut them. Also, you can’t beat the royalty percentages on Kindle versus traditional publishing.

DAVID WISEHART: What advice would you give to a first-time author thinking of self-publishing on Kindle?

BOBBYE TERRY: Make sure you know what you’re doing before you try it. Listen to what others say so you won’t make mistakes, and don’t think one read-through of a guide will be enough to put up your work. Also, make sure you have other read your work and find typos, as well as check for story inconsistencies. One of my readers indicated that I used phases in my historical that weren’t appropriate for the period. I knew that, but it’s just hard to catch everything in your own work.

DAVID WISEHART: Thanks, and best of luck with your books.




ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Bobbye Terry is the multi-published writer of fantasy, suspense and romantic comedy novels under her own name, her solo pseudonym, Daryn Cross, and her co-authored one, Terry Campbell. Her previous works have garnered finalist awards in the Booksellers’ Best and other RWA-sponsored contests. Bobbye’s most recent releases are Millicent and Frozen Assets, available now on Kindle and Smashwords and her first mystery novella, Buried in Briny Bay, from Turquoise Morning Press, is also currently available at most distributors.

You can find more about Bobbye and her books at http://DarynCross-fantasy.Blogspot.com and at www.TheCashChroniclesSeries.com.

Are you a Kindle author? Would you like to be interviewed for this blog? You can! See details on my Kindle Authors Wanted page.

Discover new writers! Subscribe to the FREE Kindle Author Newsletter.

No comments:

Loading....

Post a Comment