Friday

Kindle Author Interview: H. Lovelyn Bettison

H. Lovelyn Bettison, author of The Box, discusses her book, her journey as a writer, and self-publishing on Kindle.

DAVID WISEHART: What can you tell us about The Box?

H. LOVELYN BETTISON: The Box is a surreal work of fiction that follows three friends on a road trip from San Diego California to St. Pete, Florida. Heck, I'll just let the book blurb lay it out for you.

What’s in the box? Indy would sure like to know.

When Tom offers Indy two thousand dollars to transport a mysterious box across the country, she reluctantly agrees to do it. Accompanied by her ex-boyfriend, Koji, and flower child friend, Eve, Indy embarks on a journey that is bound to be anything but ordinary.

Not too long after their trip gets underway, they come to the realization that the box holds a force beyond their control. Will they make it to their destination? Will they lose their sanity or maybe even their lives in the process?

DAVID WISEHART: How do you develop and differentiate your characters?

H. LOVELYN BETTISON: I spend a lot of time thinking about my characters before I ever write a word of the book. I write complete character studies in a notebook that include personal histories beyond what is covered in the novel.

DAVID WISEHART: Who do you imagine is your ideal reader?

H. LOVELYN BETTISON: People who are interested in self-discovery would be quite interested in this book.

DAVID WISEHART: What was your journey as a writer?

H. LOVELYN BETTISON: I started writing when I was a little girl. Some of my first stories were about talking trees. I always thought I'd be a writer. That was my dream. Now I'm making it happen.

I've written poems and short stories throughout my teens and twenties and had some stories published in magazines and online. I wrote my first novel in my late twenties, but it remains on my computer never to seen the light of day.

DAVID WISEHART: What is your writing process?

H. LOVELYN BETTISON: I have no real process, I simply sit down and write.

DAVID WISEHART: What authors most inspire you?

H. LOVELYN BETTISON: Anne Tyler, Haruki Murakami, and Banana Yoshimoto.

DAVID WISEHART: What one book, written by someone else, do you wish you'd written yourself?

H. LOVELYN BETTISON: Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murkami is brillant.

DAVID WISEHART: How have you marketed and promoted your work?

H. LOVELYN BETTISON: I've only just started. I put my book up on Kindle a year ago and just kind of forgot about it. I wasn't even really thinking people would read it. Then I noticed that I was making sales and getting reviews so I decided to do something with it. It needed some improvements so I took it down, edited and formatted it than put it up again. I've started a blog that I've been promoting to get my name out and I've been using Twitter.

DAVID WISEHART: Why publish on Kindle?

H. LOVELYN BETTISON: That's a no-brainer really. E-readers are the wave of the future and Kindle is one of the most popular ones. The real question is, why not publish on the Kindle?

DAVID WISEHART: What advice would you give to a first-time author thinking of self-publishing on Kindle?

H. LOVELYN BETTISON: Don't do what I did. Treat your writing like a business. That's what it has to be if you're going to be successful. Write a business plan. Decide how to market your book. Hire an editor. Put out the best book you possibly can.

DAVID WISEHART: Thanks, and best of luck with your books.




ABOUT THE AUTHOR

H. Lovelyn Bettison was born into a creative family with a strong tradition of storytelling. From an early age, she wrote stories. Some of her first works of fiction involved talking trees and magical creatures. Though the trees in her stories no longer talk, she remains true to her childhood interest in the magical aspects of life.

Lovelyn currently lives outside of London with her husband.

Visit her website and follow her on twitter.

Are you a Kindle author? Would you like to be interviewed for this blog? You can! See details on my Kindle Authors Wanted page.

Discover new writers! Subscribe to the FREE Kindle Author Newsletter.

No comments:

Loading....

Post a Comment