Thursday

Kindle Author Interview: Jayne Fordham

Jayne Fordham, author of A Season of Transformation, discusses her book, her journey as a writer, and self-publishing on Kindle.

DAVID WISEHART: What can you tell us about A Season of Transformation?

JAYNE FORDHAM: A Season of Transformation is a YA fantasy romance novel set in contemporary Australia. On the first day of autumn, five teenagers are drawn together by an unstoppable force that brings them to the Catherine Vale showgrounds, in their local town. They uncover a box with a series of letters left for them by their ancestors. They discover that they will develop abilities which they will need to use to defeat Maxvale, an ancient villain who will resurrect on the final evening of autumn. These five teenagers who are all very different from each other must put their differences aside and form a team to defeat Maxvale and save their small town from destruction.

DAVID WISEHART: How do you develop and differentiate your characters?

JAYNE FORDHAM: Developing the characters for A Season Of Transformation was quite fun actually, I simply had to come up with five characters that were very distinct from each other. Firstly, I decided on what kind of personalities that each would have and from there I worked backwards to figure out their family backgrounds and inner conflicts that would influence how they are in the present moment (my psychology background came in handy with this!).

DAVID WISEHART: Who do you imagine is your ideal reader?

JAYNE FORDHAM: A Season of Transformation is targeted at young adult readers and the age range varies from 14-20’s but it is not limited to this age group. Anyone who loves stories with fantasy and romance and a little adventure will enjoy this story.

DAVID WISEHART: What was your journey as a writer?

JAYNE FORDHAM: Well it has definitely been on and off over the years. I loved to write as a child and through my teenage years but then there were many years I didn’t write for various reasons. I rediscovered my love for the written word a few years back when I again started to write short stories and started to write my first novel, A Season Of Transformation.

DAVID WISEHART: What is your writing process?

JAYNE FORDHAM: I really need to have a lot of self-discipline to stay on track with my writing. I tend to have a lot going on at once and it can be difficult at times for me to focus and write a novel. I work full-time, I write on a book blog and I try to fit in writing as often as I can. I hope in the future I can spend more time writing. The first draft of A Season Of Transformation was written in about 3 months but I spent two years redrafting and editing this story prior to publishing.

DAVID WISEHART: What authors most inspire you?

JAYNE FORDHAM: As a romantic at heart, I am a huge fan of Jane Austen’s novels but I also have a very eclectic taste in reading material. I love paranormal novels by authors such as Stephanie Meyer and Charlaine Harris, Australian fiction authors; Fleur McDonald, Monica McInerney and Maureen McArthy to name a few.

DAVID WISEHART: What one book, written by someone else, do you wish you'd written yourself?

JAYNE FORDHAM: Hmm… Pride and Prejudice! Who wouldn’t want to be as well known in the literary world as Jane Austen?

DAVID WISEHART: How have you marketed and promoted your work?

JAYNE FORDHAM: Well, having released my first novel in late March I am still getting the promotional side underway. I have organised a huge book blog tour for June and July 2011 where I will be blog hopping throughout this time providing guest posts, interviews and giveaways. Many blogs are on board to provide reviews as well. You know what they say, reviews sells books! There is more information on my site www.jaynefordham.com. So, that is the first step in my marketing plan at this stage and then I will go from there.

DAVID WISEHART: Why publish on Kindle?

JAYNE FORDHAM: Amazon is one of the most accessed retail sites world-wide and it is well-known in Australia which was one of the main reasons. I did not want to publish on a site that Australians were unfamiliar with or would be unable to access. Not only that, Amazon Kindle allows Australian authors to sell their books and I came across one self-publishing company in particular that would not pay those without a U.S banking account- which I do not have!

DAVID WISEHART: What advice would you give to a first-time author thinking of self-publishing on Kindle?

JAYNE FORDHAM: Be prepared to put in a lot of work to market and promote your book! You cannot just expect to put your book out there and people will just buy it. Jot down some sort of ‘marketing plan’ and start from there. I recommend approaching book blogs that suit your novels’ genre and definitely getting involved in the social networking world.

DAVID WISEHART: Thanks, and best of luck with your books.




ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Jayne Fordham is a psychologist, freelance writer and debut author of A Season of Transformation. She resides in South-West Sydney with her boyfriend and loveable cocker spaniel, Buddy.

Visit her website, read her blog, and follow her on twitter.



Are you a Kindle author? Would you like to be interviewed for this blog? You can! See details on my Kindle Authors Wanted page.

Discover new writers! Subscribe to the FREE Kindle Author Newsletter.

No comments:

Loading....

Post a Comment