Wednesday

Kindle Author Interview: Lia Fairchild

Lia Fairchild, author of In Search of Lucy, discusses her book, her journey as a writer, and self-publishing on Kindle.

DAVID WISEHART: What can you tell us about In Search of Lucy?

LIA FAIRCHILD: In Search of Lucy is a story about sacrifice, family, friendship, love, and finding one’s identity.

Thirty-year-old Lucy Lang is lost. She spent most of her young life sacrificing her own needs to care for her half-sister and deal with their alcoholic mother. Now abandoned by both of them, Lucy struggles to find her own purpose in life; a struggle that is laden with wretched memories and regret. With no family, no relationships and an unfulfilling job Lucy becomes depressed, cynical and self-destructive. At times she’d even contemplated suicide as the only way out.

When she is just about to hit rock bottom, Lucy finds out that her sister is ill and needs a kidney transplant. Lucy is found to be the only match, and has no choice but to live. Lucy is now trapped in a lonely existence to save her sister’s life. And, she must battle with her emotions; her bitter resentment for her sister’s heartless departure and her longing to be needed again and take care of the person she once loved most in the world. With the help of new found friends, Benny and Anne, and a possible romance, Lucy sets out on a journey to reunite with her sister and search for the answers she needs to find her own purpose in life.

With simply genuine and endearing characters, In Search of Lucy draws you right into the story and into the characters’ lives. You’ll find yourself truly inspired and rooting for the happy ending that these characters are working so hard to obtain. This contemporary novel about the power of relationships and how they affect our identity will appeal to anyone that has ever experienced love, loss, and friendship.

DAVID WISEHART: How do you develop and differentiate your characters?

LIA FAIRCHILD: That’s a very good question since I think in writing books it is even more important to differentiate your characters than in movies. I really want people to be able to have a certain picture in their mind when they are reading dialogue or a description of a particular character. First I like to give them some kind of distinguishing physical feature, and that could be something as simple as “could stand to lose a few pounds,” or something they do like “constantly flicking his Beatles-style haircut back from his face.” Then I try to get to know who I want that person to be and stay consistent with them throughout the story. I’ll ask myself if that is something they would say or do.

DAVID WISEHART: Who do you imagine is your ideal reader?

LIA FAIRCHILD: With a dramatic story like this, that deals with real issues like neglect, abuse, relationships, I’d like to think it is ideally for a wide range of people. On some level, most adults can relate to this story.

DAVID WISEHART: What was your journey as a writer?

LIA FAIRCHILD: I have always loved reading, writing, art and basically anything else that involves creativity and problem solving. However, I really have only been writing seriously for a couple of years. I changed careers a couple of times over the years, started a family, and kept extremely busy. So, In Search of Lucy is my introduction into writing as a career and that began only about a year ago.

DAVID WISEHART: What is your writing process?

LIA FAIRCHILD: I like to work things out in my head first. At times I may jot things down on paper as well. I try to avoid going to the computer unless I am fully loaded and ready to write.

DAVID WISEHART: What authors most inspire you?

LIA FAIRCHILD: Anytime I read a book and thoroughly enjoy it, I am inspired by that author.

DAVID WISEHART: What one book, written by someone else, do you wish you'd written yourself?

LIA FAIRCHILD: Recently I read Chill Factor by Sandra Brown. I really enjoyed the writing, twists and turns, and different story lines of the book. I remember thinking while reading it, that I would like to write something like that.

DAVID WISEHART: How have you marketed and promoted your work?

LIA FAIRCHILD: I’m very new to all this, but I dove right in. I got on Twitter, figured out how it all worked, and made some connections there. Also, there is a great writing group on Facebook filled with very supportive indie authors. The most challenging part has been getting the book seen, and getting it to reviewers.

DAVID WISEHART: Why publish on Kindle?

LIA FAIRCHILD: First of all, I have a kindle and really love it. I still read paper books, but it’s great to have both. I don’t think Kindles have exploded and everyone’s got one. But it is growing and I think it will continue in that direction.

DAVID WISEHART: What advice would you give to a first-time author thinking of self-publishing on Kindle?

LIA FAIRCHILD: Before you finish your book I would really educate yourself on the process of self-publishing as well as marketing. If you wait until your book is complete you will feel like you are trying to play catch up. It is both overwhelming and exciting how many opportunities are out there, but you can’t stress about taking advantage of all of them.

DAVID WISEHART: Thanks, and best of luck with your books.




ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Lia Fairchild writes, "I am a native Californian who loves reading, writing, movies, and anything else related to the arts. Writing is something I've thought about all my life, so the completion of my first novel, In Search of Lucy, is truly satisfying. I hold a B.A. degree in Journalism and a Multiple Subject Teaching Credential. My most enjoyable moments are spent with my family, traveling, spending time outdoors, or simply laughing and being together. Look for updates on my next book at http://www.liafairchild.com or follow me on Twitter."

In Search of Lucy is available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Smashwords.

Are you a Kindle author? Would you like to be interviewed for this blog? You can! See details on my Kindle Authors Wanted page.

Discover new writers! Subscribe to the FREE Kindle Author Newsletter.

No comments:

Loading....

Post a Comment