Wednesday

Kindle Author Interview: Lisa Kessler

Lisa Kessler, author of Across the Veil, discusses her book, her journey as a writer, and self-publishing on Kindle.

DAVID WISEHART: What can you tell us about Across the Veil?

LISA KESSLER: I wrote Across the Veil in four parts as part of the Paranormal Fight Club contest on the Romance in the Backseat book blog. Each week readers voted and at the end of the contest, Across the Veil was the final entry left standing.

DAVID WISEHART: How do you develop and differentiate your characters?

LISA KESSLER: I start with my main character and try to be sure they're "real." Sometimes it might be a nervous habit they can't control, or a way of speaking that's theirs alone. I try to be sure readers can relate to them and their plight. Their individual character traits make them come alive and differentiate them from the other characters in the story.

DAVID WISEHART: Who do you imagine is your ideal reader?

LISA KESSLER: Anyone who enjoys reading books and stories that involve a paranormal twist. At times my stories are romantic, others they're scary, but they almost always have a touch of paranormal.

DAVID WISEHART: What was your journey as a writer?

LISA KESSLER: I always loved creative writing in school, and as an adult I wrote every night for fun, dreaming up new characters. After my first trip to New Orleans a palm reader changed my path. She read my palm and as I made my way out of her shop, she stopped me and said, "I have to ask... Are you a writer?"

I shrugged. "I write every night, but just for fun."

She smiled at me with a twinkle in her eye. "You're going to be a famous writer one day."

I was stunned. I'd never considered writing a novel. I ended up writing down an entire plotline on cocktail napkins in the airport and four months later my first novel was done. I've been publishing short stories ever since and just signed a 4 book deal for my Night Walker series.

DAVID WISEHART: What is your writing process?

LISA KESSLER: I usually write by the seat of my pants without an outline. I start with a main character and an inciting incident and the story takes off from there.

DAVID WISEHART: What authors most inspire you?

LISA KESSLER: Kelley Armstrong, Dean Koontz, Stephen King, Anne Rice, Jeri Smith-Ready, Jackie Kessler, and I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting. I'm a voracious reader! :)

DAVID WISEHART: What one book, written by someone else, do you wish you'd written yourself?

LISA KESSLER: The Vampire Lestat.

DAVID WISEHART: How have you marketed and promoted your work?

LISA KESSLER: I'm very active on Twitter, Facebook and Goodreads. I've also been scheduling guest blog spots on book blogger sites, as well as promoting reviews as they come in.

DAVID WISEHART: Why publish on Kindle?

LISA KESSLER: This story was too long to place in most anthologies, and too short to be a novel or novella, so a $.99 Kindle ebook seemed like the perfect fit.

DAVID WISEHART: What advice would you give to a first-time author thinking of self-publishing on Kindle?

LISA KESSLER: Be sure to have a few people critique and edit your work before you publish it. I edited mine numerous times and my critique partners still caught things I missed.

DAVID WISEHART: Thanks, and best of luck with your books.




ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Lisa Kessler writes, "I've published short stories in print anthologies and magazines. My story, Immortal Beloved was a finalist for a Bram Stoker award and is currently a part of the Dead Souls anthology from Morrigan Books.

"My Night Trilogy: Night Walker, Night Demon, and Night Child. Will be released later this year from Entangled Publishing along with a novella, Night Thief!

"In the meantime, I'm still searching for a home for my new werewolf Moon Series.

"I live with my husband and two great teens in San Diego. You can learn more on my website: http://LisasLair.com or my blog: http://lisakessler.wordpress.com."

Are you a Kindle author? Would you like to be interviewed for this blog? You can! See details on my Kindle Authors Wanted page.

Discover new writers! Subscribe to the FREE Kindle Author Newsletter.

No comments:

Loading....

Post a Comment