Thursday

Kindle Author Interview: Rose Pressey

Rose Pressey, author of How to Date a Werewolf, discusses her book, her journey as a writer, and self-publishing on Kindle.

DAVID WISEHART: What can you tell us about How to Date a Werewolf?

ROSE PRESSEY: How to Date a Werewolf is a light paranormal romance. The first in the series.

Here's there blurb:

Romance can be a hairy business—especially when you’re a werewolf.

As the owner of Get a Mate Dating Service, Rylie is more than happy to step in and lend a hand to lonely lycanthropic hearts all over town. No matter how hopeless Rylie might be in finding her own soul mate, she has a knack for helping others find theirs.

Convinced that she is stuck with a family curse, Rylie is positive she will never find her true love. But when drool-worthy Jack Chandler shows up at her door, Rylie wonders if maybe the curse is finally broken.

But Rylie’s life is about to become complicated courtesy of the after-dark crowd. When she begins receiving strange notes and harassment from a jilted client, events careen out of control.

Jack knows she’s more hassle than he can handle. What he doesn’t know is whether she’s seriously in trouble . . . or simply delusional.

DAVID WISEHART: How do you develop and differentiate your characters?

ROSE PRESSEY: For me, part of developing characters means knowing their quirks, their likes, and dislikes. Knowing their flaws, and their inner secrets. Understanding the character in and out will help you picture him/her as a living person, and in turn, so will your reader.

DAVID WISEHART: Who do you imagine is your ideal reader?

ROSE PRESSEY: My ideal reader is someone like me. Someone who enjoys the type of stories I do. I write the type of stories I enjoy reading, so anyone who enjoys light, fun reads may enjoy my books. I believe there isn't enough light paranormal romance out there, so I created my own.

DAVID WISEHART: What was your journey as a writer?

ROSE PRESSEY: I started seriously writing five years ago. Fours years ago, I decided I wanted to be a published author. I've had one book published with a small publisher, and I had an agent. When she was unable to sell my book, we parted ways, and I've been searching for another agent ever since. As many writers know, finding an agent is extremely difficult. After a lot of inner debate, I finally decided to publish on my own.

DAVID WISEHART: What is your writing process?

ROSE PRESSEY: I try to write every day. I'm more of a pantster, but I do have a small outline when I start. I like to speed write in chunks just to get the story out, then go back and expand.

DAVID WISEHART: What authors most inspire you?

ROSE PRESSEY: I have so many favorite authors, and their knowledge of the craft is remarkable. Five years ago, I read Hissy Fit by Mary Kay Andrews. It was that book that made me want to write. When I finished it, I didn't want it to end. That's when I realized I had characters and stories in my head, and it finally clicked that I could write them out just like other authors. I'm so glad I picked up that book.

DAVID WISEHART: What one book, written by someone else, do you wish you'd written yourself?

ROSE PRESSEY: Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris.

DAVID WISEHART: How have you marketed and promoted your work?

ROSE PRESSEY: I've just began marketing and promoting my book, but I can say, it's a lot of hard work. But I believe hard work will have its rewards. I use social media, participate in forums, and I'm having a contest for the entire month of April. It's a biggie!

DAVID WISEHART: Why publish on Kindle?

ROSE PRESSEY: The royalty rate is great, and it's so easy to upload. Readers can easily download my book, too. Plus, I can write a follow-up and they won't have to wait a year to read it.

DAVID WISEHART: What advice would you give to a first-time author thinking of self-publishing on Kindle?

ROSE PRESSEY: Make sure you have time to devote to marketing. It's so important. Editing is important, as well. Don't skip that part.

DAVID WISEHART: Thanks, and best of luck with your books.

ROSE PRESSEY: Thank you for the opportunity, David. I also want to mention that I'm giving away an iPad 2 to one winner. All people have to do is buy my book to enter. The details are on my website.




ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Rose Pressey writes, "I enjoy writing quirky and fun novels with a paranormal twist. The paranormal has always captured my interest. The thought of finding answers to the unexplained fascinates me.

When I’m not writing about werewolves, vampires and every other supernatural creature, I love eating cupcakes with sprinkles, reading, spending time with family, and listening to oldies from the fifties. Yeah, I love Elvis. I can’t help myself.

I live in the beautiful commonwealth of Kentucky with my husband, son and two sassy Chihuahuas."

Visit her website to win an iPad2 (contest ends May 5, 2011).

Are you a Kindle author? Would you like to be interviewed for this blog? You can! See details on my Kindle Authors Wanted page.

Discover new writers! Subscribe to the FREE Kindle Author Newsletter.

No comments:

Loading....

Post a Comment