Tuesday

Kindle Author Interview: Shay Fabbro

Shay Fabbro, author of The Chosen, discusses her book, her journey as a writer, and self-publishing on Kindle.

DAVID WISEHART: What can you tell us about The Chosen?

SHAY FABBRO: The Chosen is the first in a trilogy called The Portals of Destiny. It’s a blend of scifi and fantasy. There are multiple “main” characters (the Chosen), most of which are alien species that are very different from humans. There are five different planets, one of which is Earth. However, it’s an Earth the reader won’t recognize.

The Chosen have an impossible task set before them: the Gentran prophecy states that this special group must save the galaxy from the Mekans, a race of mechanical beings roaming the galaxy in search of minerals and ores. Their size and power wreak havoc on the worlds they mine, ultimately destroying all life that lives there.

To make matters worse, one of the Chosen is murdered. The prophets now foretell of the death and doom of all in the galaxy.

Can the Chosen manage to save everyone despite what the prophecy says? Is the future really set in stone, or is the future what we make it? These are questions that the Chosen must face on their journey, and issues that the reader will come face-to-face with as they continue to read the series.

DAVID WISEHART: How do you develop and differentiate your characters?

SHAY FABBRO: I spent almost a year designing the five planets and the creatures that would inhabit those worlds. Being a biologist helped me to logically design characters with traits that would fit with the possible evolution of worlds with varying gravity, horrendous wind storms, liquid surfaces, deep below water. I had so much fun giving them unique characteristics that all of the brings embody, and yet the individual Chosen themselves have different personalities. I tried to give them qualities that exist in all of us: a mixture of good and bad.

DAVID WISEHART: Who do you imagine is your ideal reader?

SHAY FABBRO: I imagine my readers will be those that typically read scifi/fantasy, but who are ready for something different, something quirky.

DAVID WISEHART: What was your journey as a writer?

SHAY FABBRO: It actually officially started while I was working on my PhD. I had a dream that I couldn’t stop thinking about. Before I knew it, I was creating a story for my dream and the man in it. That led to creating his world, and the rest is history! The dream sequence itself appears in book, Shattered Destiny. ;)

DAVID WISEHART: What is your writing process?

SHAY FABBRO: My first step is to get a rough synopsis going in my head, and maybe typing a blurb on paper just to get the juices flowing. I am a research scientist and need to have a protocol! So I can’t write even one sentence of the book until I have a synopsis for the basic direction I want to the book to go and I HAVE to have the ending figured out. I had all 3 synopses for the 3 books in the Portals of Destiny series before I wrote one sentence of the first book.

DAVID WISEHART: What authors most inspire you?

SHAY FABBRO: Tolkien, George RR Martin, Jim Butcher, Terry Goodkind, Robert Jordan, Piers Anthony.

DAVID WISEHART: What one book, written by someone else, do you wish you'd written yourself?

SHAY FABBRO: Game of Thrones (George RR Martin).

DAVID WISEHART: How have you marketed and promoted your work?

SHAY FABBRO: I take advantage of the wonderful world of the Internets! I started promoting The Chosen months before it came out, posting snippets and blurbs on the Facebook fanpage. Then I got a website and Twitter and began blogging in earnest. I am on Goodreads and Shelfari, hoping to connect with readers. I LOVE doing interviews and guest blogs whenever I can. I have done several book signings locally and participate in craft fairs and any other venues that will allow you to buy a table and sell your stuff :)

DAVID WISEHART: Why publish on Kindle?

SHAY FABBRO: Oh gosh, why NOT publish on Kindle? E-readers are changing the industry in a big way. People can publish and sell their novels for anywhere from $0.99 to $5 or $6. The author makes a nice royalty, which is quite a lot more than they would get with a traditional publisher.

DAVID WISEHART: What advice would you give to a first-time author thinking of self-publishing on Kindle?

SHAY FABBRO: Do your homework!!! You have GOT to be serious about being an author and honing your craft to the best of your abilities. No one is perfect, and no one expects you to be. The drawback to Kindle is that they don’t proofread for you. So it is up to you to publish a book that is as free from glaring errors, plot holes, has a professional looking cover. The sooner we indie/self-published authors can throw off the stigma that all of our work is amateurish, the sooner we can all benefit from that.

DAVID WISEHART:  Thanks, and best of luck with your books.




ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Shay Fabbro was born in Longmont, CO and moved to the town of Grand Junction, CO in the early 1980′s. She earned her Bachelor’s degree in Biology from Mesa State College before earning her doctorate degree in Human Medical Genetics from the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora, CO. Dr. Fabbro currently lives in Grand Junction with her husband, Rich, and their two cats. When not writing novels, she teaches biology classes at Mesa State College. She is hard at work on the second novel in the Portals of Destiny series, Shattered Destiny, as well as a new young adult series, The Adventures of Alexis Davenport.


Are you a Kindle author? Would you like to be interviewed for this blog? You can! See details on my Kindle Authors Wanted page.

Discover new writers! Subscribe to the FREE Kindle Author Newsletter.

No comments:

Loading....

Post a Comment